MSAR STG-556 .223 HB

STG-556 with 18.5" Heavy Barrel
I have fantasized about have a Steyr AUG ever since I went to a gunstore and watched my father haggle over brand-new A1 and put down cash on it. I still remember the shopkeep taking the stack of bills that was half the $600 price tag and returning the rifle to its place on the rack behind the counter. For a few happy days my young mind reeled with anticipation over the expected purchase, picturing in my mind what it would feel like to shoot. I was utterly crushed a few days later when he told me he had changed his mind and retrieved the down payment.

My father has always been a sixgun and bolt action man. With the exception of a Browning .22LR, I cannot recall him ever owning a semiautomatic rifle. I suppose the completely alien design appealed to him as a novelty, but that wore off before it even got started. To a kid raised on Star Wars and scifi, this was IT.

Life went on, and the dream dimmed but never died.
I had seen the AUG prices go through the roof, and had seen the US made MSAR come onto the scene at about $2,000 and couldn't afford either. I had finally begun saving up for a Steyr A3 when I heard that the 16" MSAR's with the proprietary magazines and factory optics were selling for $1100 on CDNN. I couldn't believe my luck!

Ever the cautious buyer, I decided to double check the internet to see if any other company had a better offer. I found another outfit called Ratworx had them with a 18.5" heavy barrel, 5 mags, and the top rail for $1150 with a $150 mail-in rebate.
Wow.
I took it.
I practically slept with it for a week straight.

As soon as it was in my hands, I slapped an NcStar 3-5x42mm and sped off to the range. I tried about 150rds each of 62gr and 75gr .223. The 75gr seemed slightly more accurate, but not enough to warrant the extra cost of this ammo. Though my range time is still limited with the MSAR, I can say with that it isn't a tack driver like my heavy barrel AR15. It is not a target rifle, it is a compact battle rifle. I would compare it to an AK74, and it would have the edge with size and accuracy.
75gr .223 @ 100yds
I afterwards added a Neu-Trigger, which is a huge improvement over feel of the stock trigger. I debated for a while on which optic to get. I wanted a quality piece with at least a 3x magnification and looks to match my "spacegun". The Leupold CQ/T almost fit the bill but I wanted to see it in person before buying.


While waiting, I happened on a factory optic and 1st generation green stock for the amazing price of $200 in one of the forums. I thought I wouldn't care for the 1.5x magnification, but the look of the factory optic is hard to beat!

It turns out the 1.5x optic is not bad at all. The glass is quite clear and gives an acceptable range of view. It also feels lighter than the rail and compact cheapo scope that it was wearing before. I hope it turns out to be rugged and reliable as well.

On another trip to the range I discovered a faulty mag. A call to Ratworx got me a solution: flip the magazine spring upside down. Apart from that minor issue, the rifle has functioned well so far and is with me on every trip to the range.
... and sometimes naps with me as well...




1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I know this spot has been dormant for a while, but I hope you check and respond. I am now on the lookout for an AUG style rifle and have been looking at both the Steyer and the MSAR. Do you still have the MSAR, and how has it been functioning so far. Bottom line, will you buy it again today if you could?
    Also, do you still remember she you bought it, and can you please share?

    ReplyDelete